Input Fields Galore!

Up until now I had only used a type="text" input tag in my React Forms - yesterday and today I worked to add both a dropdown menu and a radio button to my repertoire. The Radio button was really interesting. It was cool trying to craft a "handleChange" function that would update my state accordingly. Of course, I also had to edit my JSON sample cards to make sure that all of my card objects had a "potions" key.

The dropdown menu is, at the moment, absurdly ugly (but functional.) I wanted to see exactly when each piece of CSS was triggered, which has resulted in some crazy color changes. It was really helpful for learning, but the day is quickly approaching when I will need to spend some serious time on style as opposed to new features.

Before then, though, I have to fix one major design flaw - right now, all of my code works as long as the user gives accurate input. However, when has a user ever consistently done that?

MiniGoals:
- add error messages when a field has been left blank/filled in incorrectly
- manipulate regular expressions to verify that input is accurate (ex. no numbers in names!)
- spend some quality time reading to Dragon so it can better recognize my voice

For those of you who aren't familiar with Dragon Naturally Speaking, it is a voice dictation software (some even argue it is THE voice dictation software.) Because I am using Atom as my text editor, I have been running into problems trying to integrate Dragon into my daily life. Atom won't let you use both Dragon dictation and commands while within the editor (meaning I can type text but can't press Enter, for example.) This wouldn't be such a problem except that it makes it impossible to go truly hands-free for any amount of time.

I plan to look into utilizing Atom "snippets" to enter some commonly used code (setting up React files, for instance) because the Dragon auto-text does not blend well with Atom's built-in autocomplete. I get extra closing brackets or parentheses every time, and the editing is almost not worth the effort.

The more time I spend talking to Dragon, the better its recognition is going to get. Right now it refuses to recognize how I say the word "length," for instance, which makes writing array logic really frustrating.

Comments