Jest versus Enzyme

I got to meet up with my former Launch Academy crew last night, and they told me that they've been using Enzyme to test their React Apps.  I guess that means I have a new goal on my plate?

Today I've been working on a few CodeFight challenges.  I'm always amused when I come back to a problem that really stumped me when I first saw it, and the answer is immediately clear.  The last problem I was working on involved being given a string, and having to find the shortest way to add letters only to the end of it to form a palindrome.  


Because it was something immediately simple to try, I first set about finding the longest way to make a palindrome, then looked to see if there was a pattern that would lead me to an answer to the actual problem.  I realized that I would need to try adding 1 letter from the front to the end, then test it.  If that didn't work, I would add 2 letters from the front (in reverse order) to the end, and test that - etc.

With most of the CodeFight challenges that I undertake, I try to break them down into smaller functions/steps that I know I can do without issue.  For this one, I knew that meant:


  1. Testing whether I had created a palindrome - isPalindrome()
  2. Reversing a string - reverseString()
  3. The actual function I had been tasked to create
In that main function I tested whether I had been given a palindrome to start (making everything easier) and, if not, kept adding increasingly longer portions of the initial string to its copy, checking whether I had found a solution.  Whooo!  Success.

Comments