RSVP Site

I've been getting nervous about sending out Invitations that include my rsvp website because I haven't completed all of the functionality that I want to be included.  It occurred to me a few days ago that I should set a date for the RSVP portion of the site to go "live", and until then have the site give general information like location and date. 

Today, I put that into motion.  I set up React Router within my App.js file, so that I could lead the user to a "WhereTo" component with a list of links.  I set my RSVP link to check today's date and compare the month to the date I wanted for release (July 1st.)  If it's after July 1st, the user will be sent to the RSVP site I have been designing.  Otherwise, they will be sent to a page that will tell them to "Check back on July 1st!"

Such a simple solution.

This weekend I am meeting with a recent graduate of Launch Academy who is going to explain the basics of using databases, and if it makes enough sense that I feel like I could manage the final product on my own, we will be trying to set up my RSVP app to save user information, so that people can easily log in to change their RSVP, as well as give me the initial information.

My brother has also mentioned that I should enable error reporting on the app, so that I can know immediately if something goes wrong.  He also recommended enabling a second email service so that I had some redundancy built into the system.

Overall, it is amazing to think that I have turned this concept that I wanted into an actual site that does what I want it to.  Granted, it isn't perfect - I still have some things I want to add and change around, but it is so much more than I could have accomplished by this time last year!

My new Launch cohort starts on March 12th, which is quickly approaching.  I would love to have the RSVP site relatively stable before then, so that I can worry about learning new things.

Comments