Graduated and now... On to More Learning!

Yesterday was our Career Kick off and Graduation at Launch Academy.  Over the past 10 weeks on campus I have learned an amazing amount about programming, whether it's TDD, pair-programming, starting a project, or learning a new language.  I created a Capstone Project, called the Family Newsletter, where I demonstrated these skills in application with a 2 week deadline.  

After graduation, it's easy to ask... now what?  For me, the answer is simple, yet 2-pronged:

1. Apply for Jobs!

This might be pretty obvious, but as much as I love programming I would love even more to be able to do it full-time as part of a team of great individuals.

2. Keep Learning!

The best part of being a Developer is continuously learning new things.  I noticed that a lot of companies I was researching were asking for a knowledge of Java, or had some Java in their full-stack list of technologies.  I'm going to try going through a couple of introductory courses in Java to get at least a taste for the language, to build a foundation for if I end up working with it.

I'm also going to keep working on my RSVP site.  The best part of my capstone project is that I was able to tackle a few of the underlying technologies required for finishing this site, so it only makes sense now to apply them.

I would also like to spend a little time adding to my capstone project.  Working under a 2 week deadline means there were lots of features that I had to pare-down and eliminate, but now I have the time to go back and add what I thought I was missing.


I'm really excited to be setting forth on this new chapter in my life, and can't wait to see what is in store for me next!

Comments