A Night I Will Never Forget

As I sit here in a hotel room, spending some quality time on Code Signal (previously CodeFights), I am reminded of a different hotel stay when I first began my official journey to becoming a developer.  I had taken computer science and JavaScript classes years prior, but that was the year I had committed to taking a programming bootcamp and making my dream job into my career.

Let me take you back to a sweaty, tropical night in Florida.  It was clearly October because the rain lasted all day, instead of a single hour or two in the afternoon (plus it was my birthday, so the month was pretty clear to me.)  I had spent all day running around the Magic Kingdom at Disney World with my husband, and now we were back in the room and he was fast asleep.  I took out my new-to-me MacBook Pro, and did my very first lesson for my programming bootcamp in a new language: Ruby.

I will never forget that trip, for so many reasons.  There was the ice cream sundae riverboat cruise with princess Tiana, the 9-hour walking tour behind the scenes at Magic Kingdom, and a life-long dream slowly coming to fruition.

Now the programming bootcamp has come to an end, and there are 3 days left in my 6-month engineering internship.  I am actively working to find myself a Front-End or Full-Stack position in the Bay Area, and studying as much as I am able to prepare for interviews.  My future holds many magical programming moments, I am sure, but that night in Florida was one of the tipping points.

Comments