Our "Whole New World" - Witch's Wood Introduction

COVID-19 has changed the world around us, and lives in the back of my mind perpetually.  I have friends who are out of work, and parents who my brother and I have to plead with to stay inside.  My husband and I have started having virtual board game nights, which brought up a board game that my friend and I designed a few years back: Witch's Wood.

My friend and I agreed that neither of us wanted to play the game as it was, since as a board game it requires a lot of work from the players to update the board each turn.  However, if it was a mobile game (and therefore did those steps automatically) we would both give it a chance.

So that's my new challenge for myself.  Progress will be slow, but it will be a chance to learn React Native, build a mobile app, and do something to distract myself from what's happening outside of my apartment building.  Who knows?  At the end of this I might even have a playable game.

I will be setting myself a goal for each week, and doing my best to attain it.  I make no promises other than that I will learn new things, and be kind to myself if it goes slower than I wish.

Witch's Wood involves rotating hexagonal tiles that build the game board.  My first goal is to figure out how to draw these hexagons, and structure the rotating motion.  Each side of the hexagon will have a different "type" and therefore need to be visually distinct from the other sides of the same hexagon, including to those who are color blind. 

To anyone reading this: I wish you good health, and please do your best to shelter in place.  It's a scary time.

Comments